A RECORD YEAR AT THE 2020 GATINEAU LOPPET
Gatineau, February 16, 2020 – More than 1,100 skiers and snowshoers took part in the closing day the Gatineau Loppet today on this unseasonably warm February morning, making the event’s 42nd edition a record year of annual traffic growth in the past 10 years with more than 2,500 participants competing in the two-day event.
The closing day saw Robin Duvillard of France, a bronze medalist in Sochi, win the 50km freestyle in 2 hours 10 minutes. Canadian Olivia Bouffard-Nesbitt of Morin Heights, Quebec took first place in the women’s race, in 2 hours 31 minutes and 44 seconds.
Organizers were thrilled with the participation numbers, ski conditions and level of competition.
“2020 has been a banner year for the Loppet with more than 2500 participants confirming the growing enthusiasm for the sport of cross-country skiing,” said Jean-François Rochefort, President of the Board of Directors of the Gatineau Loppet. “The perfect ski conditions, and the amazing support from our volunteers and partners, certainly contributed to making this a tremendously successful weekend.”
Combined 50 km Freestyle and Classic
- Sara Graves, Stowe, VT, USA (5:51:43)
- Carley Kenwell, Nepean, ON, CAN (6:38:07)
- Kate Neigel, Athabasca, AB, CAN (6:54:19)
- Fabian Stocek, CZE (4:56:45)
- Neal Graves, Stowe, VT, USA (5:11:18)
- Phil Shaw, Rosemère, QC, CAN (5:28:00)
50 km Freestyle presented by Swix and the National Capital Commission
- Olivia Bouffard-Nesbitt, Morin Heights, QC, CAN (2:31:44)
- Emily Stitt, East Thedford, VT, USA (2:35:57)
- Sara Graves, Stowe, VT, USA (2:40:35)
- Robin Duvillard, Villard-de-Lans, FRA (2:10:00)
- Francis Izquierdo-Bernier, Saint-Adolphe d’Howard, QC, CAN (2:11:43)
- Olivier Hamel, Lévis, QC, CAN (2:13:04)
27 km Freestyle presented by Le Spa Nordik and Hendrick Farm
- Bronwyn Williams, Cantley, QC, CAN (1:22:27)
- Stella Duncan, Chelsea, QC, CAN (1:24:24)
- Katherine Mason, Ottawa, ON, CAN (1:26:11)
- Alec Maclean, Oro Medonte, ON, CAN (1:13:58)
- Olivier Ouellette, Sherbrooke, QC, CAN (1:15:51)
- Devon Pegrum, Ottawa, ON, CAN (1:15:54)
10 km Freestyle presented by Otto’s Subaru
- Helen McCulligh, Kanata, ON, CAN (33:04)
- Bronwyn Parker, Ottawa, ON, CAN (33:19)
- Ella Smith, Ottawa, ON, CAN (33:24)
- Jean-Nicolas de Broeck, Gatineau, QC, CAN (29:11)
- Owen Brooks, Nepean, ON, CAN (29:35)
- Tavo Stringel, Merrickville, ON, CAN (30:20)
10 km Provincial snowshoe championships presented by Snowshoe Canada
- Lynda Gingras, CAN (54:16)
- Mary Thompson, Gatineau, QC, CAN (56:22)
- Johanne Gagnon, La Pêche, QC, CAN (1:11:50)
- Pierre-Luc Bélanger-Melançon, Orléans, ON, CAN (50:05)
- Mathieu David, Gatineau, QC, CAN (53:52)
- Dave McMahon, Chelsea, QC, CAN (55:15)
5 km Provincial snowshoe championships presented by Snowshoe Canada
- Marie-Pier Lachance, Gatineau, QC, CAN (27:13.2)
- Marika Laprise, Gatineau, QC, CAN (27:13.8)
- Lise Meloche, Chelsea, QC, CAN (30:35)
- Crwys Harris, Orléans, ON, CAN (28:13)
- Léo Desbiens, Gatineau, QC, CAN (28:55)
- Rémi Bachand, Gatineau, QC, CAN (29:25)
All results and participation numbers are available at Sportstats.ca.
- Today’s 50km freestyle winner Robin Duvillard of France won a bronze medal in the four-person relay at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
- Epp Paal, CEO of the Worldloppet Federation took part in the 50 km freestyle race today.
- Norway’s Ambassador to Canada, Anne Kari Ovind, took part in the 50 km classic race yesterday, her fifth time participating in the Gatineau Loppet.
- 19 participants travelled to the Gatineau Loppet to achieve the Master Worldloppet title, which can only be achieved by completing a Worldloppet race outside of Europe.
- The Legend’s Path award was presented to Alex Harvey and 30-year Gatineau Loppet organizer Louise Poirier for their contribution to the sport of cross-country skiing. Alex Harvey’s father, Olympian Pierre Harvey, received the prize in 2017.
About the Gatineau Loppet
The Gatineau Loppet took place from February 15-16 through the wonderful and challenging trials of the Gatineau Park. More than 2,500 participants from around the world competed in classic and freestyle races from 2km to 50km.
The Gatineau Loppet is one of many stops on the WorldLoppet Tour, an organization that comprises of 20 long distances skiing events throughout the world. Canada, and Gatineau has hosted this event for 42 years.
The 2020 Gatineau Loppet was run by the PMI Sports, an expert in the organization of events in collaboration with the Administration and Organizing Committee, whose members work passionately to make this event a national success.
The Gatineau Loppet would like to thank its main partners who help make the event a success. Thank you to the Government of Quebec, City of Gatineau, National Capital Commission, Bicyclettes de Hull, Swix, Nordik spa, Hendrick farm, the Municipality of Chelsea, Fisher, Auclair, Fresh Air Experience, Salomon, Surge Active Wear, Uniform Urban Developments, Xact nutrition, and Otto’s Subaru.
For more information, visit the event website: www.gatineauloppet.com
Maryse Lacelle (onsite contact over the weekend)
Phone : 819-592-2532
Annie Boucher (pre-interviews and information)
Fuse Communications and Public Affairs