April 26, 2021 – The Gatineau Loppet, Canada’s largest cross-country ski event, is seeking to hire a General Manager or an Executive Producer / company to organize the 2022, 2023 and 2024 editions of the Gatineau Loppet.
The work must be performed from the Outaouais region. While the Gatineau Loppet is preferably looking for a freelance individual to provide general management, the Gatineau Loppet is also open to considering hiring an executive producer / company capable of organizing the entire event. The contract to be put in place shall require either hiring two part-time assistants (to be paid by the Gatineau Loppet) for the general manager, or the support staff shall be hired, paid and managed entirely by the executive producer / company as per contract terms. The job descriptions of these positions will be provided later.
- The Gatineau Loppet is a popular cross-country ski race and will celebrate its 44th edition on February 18-19-20, 2022;
- It is part of the Worldloppet league www.worldloppet.com which includes the 20 most important cross-country ski races in the world in as many countries;
- It takes place from the Relais plein air in Gatineau Park, in Gatineau, Quebec;
- The mandate includes, among other things, the management of the event and the volunteers, the field production, the management of registration revenues, researching and seeking grants, partnerships and sponsorships. In order to accomplish this, the general manager or executive producer shall be required to hire, supervise and manage two part-time assistants
(administrative and communications);
- The general manager shall pay particular attention to the goal of achieving a participation level of 3,000 skiers (2,500 in 2020 and 1,536 in 2021 virtual race);
- In addition to the Saturday and Sunday races, the Gatineau Loppet plans to offer a new race for the 2022 edition, a fun relay race on Friday night;
- The general manager shall be expected to work within the annual priorities set in collaboration with the Gatineau Loppet Board of Directors;
- A document outlining the tasks to be performed by the general manager and part-time assistants shall be sent upon request;
- The Gatineau Loppet has a budget of $65,000 for the salary of a general manager and $35,000 (total) for two part-time assistants. For an executive producer, the budget would therefore be $100,000;
- The overall event budget for the 2022 edition is expected to be between $330,000 and $375,000 unless the edition is virtual;
- To ensure continuity and a stable transition, the Gatineau Loppet annually renews its agreements with the following five subcontractors:
P Miron Consultants: logistical support
Coordinator of feeding stations
Race Roster: handles the online registration aspects
Sportstats: provides event timing
- The Gatineau Loppet shall provide in September 2021 a comprehensive statement of work – a strategic marketing, communications and partnership plan – and office space at the Relais plein air;
- The Gatineau Loppet rents storage space to store its equipment;
- Good written and spoken French skills are essential as the majority of exchanges are in French. The ability to communicate in English is essential to maintain contact with clients and the Worldloppet;
- In the event of continued pandemic impacts, the Gatineau Loppet reserves the right to modify the agreement between the parties in accordance with clauses to be negotiated and included in the contract.
Individuals or companies interested in bidding for the above must send a letter of interest by Wednesday, May 12, 2021, with a brief description of their expertise, a resume or profile of their company, including a description of their experience in event organization, preferably sporting events. It should also include a brief description of the approach envisaged. Letters of interest must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Zoom conference/meeting to respond to questions from interested parties/bidders will be held on Wednesday, May 5 at 3:00 pm.
The anticipated start date of the contract is July 1, 2021.